By Samantha Delgado
Imagine you’re standing in a gym, preparing to play an intense game of dodge ball. You look across the room and say to yourself, “No big deal, I’ve got this,” and you ready yourself for the barrage. At that point, everything appears manageable – until the game begins. Dodge balls come hurling at you from every direction, and at times it’s pure chaos. How will you make it through the game and succeed?
That’s what it feels like when you first join an agency. Every day we work on multiple projects, media opportunities, pitching and much more. It’s overwhelming at times, especially for a newcomer. Even with the experience of internships, nothing really prepared me for the fast-paced and ever-changing environment of an agency. However, just as in any game, if you have the right strategy, you can succeed.
Here are my top 5 tips for adjusting to agency life:
1) Use Your Calendar: Outlook calendar is my new best friend. I send myself the smallest of reminders so there aren’t any loose ends at the end of the day. At an agency there are so many things going on at once, that it’s easy for small tasks to slip through the cracks.
2) Write To-Do Lists: This sounds simple, but writing things down daily clears your head and makes projects more manageable.
3) Be a Problem Solver: When approaching a supervisor with a question or a problem, always suggest your own solution. It shows you took the initiative to solve the issue. Also, it ensures that you won’t waste someone else’s time.
4) Take Lunch Breaks: Even though you’re in a time-crunch, it’s important to give your brain a rest and re-energize. A tired brain is not a useful brain!
5) Lean on Your Team: I am fortunate to be surrounded by a support system that has helped me learn the ropes of agency work. I can’t stress enough the importance of looking to your supervisors and coworkers for advice and knowledge. They all started somewhere, and their experiences can help you grow into a successful PR professional.
Just like in dodge ball (or any other game), times can be stressful at an agency. However, by keeping these tips in mind, I know I’m up for the challenge.
What are your tips for adjusting to agency life?
Samantha Delgado has served as an account coordinator with Costa Communications Group for the past five months. She puts on a good game face for everything.